Coronavirus – Advice for Drivers and Motor Fleets

MOT Extension for Cars, Vans and Motorcycles

Due to the unfolding COVID-19 situation, the Department for Transport (DfT) has announced that drivers will be granted a 6 months extension for cars, vans and motorcycles due their MOT from 30th March 2020. This will continue until confirmed otherwise.

This will allow drivers to carry out essential travel such as driving to work where it cannot be done at home or essential shopping for food and necessities.

It has been stressed however that vehicles must be kept in a roadworthy condition or drivers could be prosecuted for driving an unsafe vehicle. For this reason, garages have been allowed to stay open for essential vehicle maintenance and repairs.

Your vehicle’s MOT expiry date will only be updated a few days before it was originally due to expire. Three days before your MOT was originally due to expire, check the expiry date has been extended. If the expiry date has not been extended 3 days before it was due to expire, email

You can find more detailed information here:  Gov Website – MOT Extensions


MOTs for Lorries, Buses and Trailers

All lorry, bus or trailer annual tests (MOT) have been suspended from 21st March 2020 for 3 months. In most cases you will be automatically issued with a 3-month extension, however, you will need to apply for an exemption if your vehicle fits into one of these categories:

To find out more information for Lorries, Buses and Vehicles, click here: Gov Website – MOT for Lorries Buses Trailers


Supporting the NHS Volunteer Responder Scheme

Many Commercial Motor businesses have been keen to use their vehicles to support the people in their communities who are impacted by COVID-19 and this includes the NHS Volunteer Responder Scheme which has been hugely popular. For details see here: NHS Volunteer Responder Scheme

If you or one of your employees are planning to use a company vehicle for voluntary purposes (non-payment) to transport medicine or groceries to support others or for the activities of an NHS volunteer responder, please contact your CCRS Account Director who can check if your insurer is willing or able to extend the use under your policy.


When should I contact CCRS with information for my Insurer?

If there is going to be an accumulation of vehicles at one location due to vehicles not being in use this should be referred to CCRS as the insurer will consider this a material fact to be disclosed to them. Details of the location, security (including how often the vehicles can be checked upon) and measures to prevent fire spread in the event of arson should be notified.

If vehicles are being declared SORN with the DVLA, contact CCRS to review the cover basis you require.

If you are in a sector which is still operating and are looking to make transportation arrangements for staff (e.g. hiring a minibus), refer to CCRS in advance to check if the insurer can cover the different vehicle type and use (and at what terms).

If you are having to employ or contract new drivers at short notice to cover staff absences (or if your sector has seen an increase in demand) the normal driving licence, medical conditions, health and safety and risk management checks and procedures (and, where relevant, security checks) still require to be carried out.

If you are asking employees use their own vehicles for business purposes, you should check their insurance arrangements to ensure these include your own business use.

If you are diversifying into providing different products or services which means vehicles may be used for a different purpose (e.g. courier deliveries), refer to CCRS in advance to check if the insurer can cover the different use (and at what terms) – where relevant, you should also check your Operators Licence allows for the proposed new use.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *